Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fayle Moste Epick.

So, in that sad, nerdy way that I have, I was having a little think about toponymy (the etymology of place names) after something from an Archaeology lesson not so long ago. I wondered where the name of my town and the nearby were from, as their components aren't common ones for the most part. Obvious point of refernce to try: The Domesday Book. Non-corrupted forms of every settlement in the country? Perfect.
Or not, apparently.
Not ONE website I can find will give me free access to Domesday records. It's not like they're confidential; it was over nine hundred years ago!
Is it too much to ask for a litle information to satiate my geekish curiosity?

3 comments:

  1. Your mysterious, anonymous friend again.

    The internet is vast and filled with unspoken amounts of information. Unfortunately, such a versatile tool has become mainstream with the introduction of various social networking websites such as Bebo and Myspace. I miss those days of Year 7 when the internet was like "my little secret", and every day when I'd get home from school I'd spend time on Runescape and talk to people from around the world, mostly in America though.

    Big corporations have noticed the mainstream switch, and unfortunately, they are profiting from it. Unfortunately, it seems this applies to the Domesday Book records as well.

    That's about all. Oh, there's one more thing; 4th period today was pretty funny with the laptop noises, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there's one LAST thing which I forgot to say.

    I'm sorry for the anonymity. I'm not a stalker or anything like that, don't worry... I just find you interesting... But I'm hopelessly shy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I must say I can relate to the shyness! The RuneScape... not so much, but each to their own =P
    And yes, those 'pop-up ads' were rather funny!

    The anonymity is fine. But like I said before, if you want to be you then that's fine too (hey, that rhymes) (:

    ReplyDelete

Have your say...